Friday, August 27, 2010

Balancing Act

This "diet" is really hard.  I guess I've never been on one before.  I've always been thin, and I still am.  But I'm slowly getting un-thin.  Which is un-acceptable.  (For me, anyway.)

So I decided to start paying more attention to what I'm eating, with the help of my handy-dandy food diary, MyFitnessPal, which I raved about in this post.  (It's a free iPhone app - go check it out!!)

The first day using the diary was great - I ate even fewer calories than I was allowed to.  The second day I did really well... until night time.  I went and saw Inception with my boyfriend and one of his friends, and afterwards we made a frozen pizza.  (Palermo's Thin-Crust Grilled Chicken Caesar is FABULOUS, btw.)  There were a few slices left... and I've never been one to waste food, so... 

It put me 43 calories over my daily allowance. :(

But, I figured that was okay, since 43 isn't that much, and I don't really need to lose weight anyway.

...THAT'S CALLED DENIAL, PEOPLE.  No good.

Anyway, today was Day 3.  Had a BLT for lunch (turkey bacon) which, including a few other things I ate, set me back over 1,000 cals.  Hah!  Had a massive mixed greens salad with raw brocolli for dinner (how disciplined am I, right?)  But it left me totally craving something... tastier.  So I had some cake.

As I type this, I realize how silly that sounds.  I almost can't believe how little self-control I have.   Good thing I'm catching this weight gain in the early stages and not waiting a few years... Dunno if I could swing it back after that long.

But I'm going to go easy on myself and chalk this up to standard difficulties experienced in the beginning of any new thing.  I'll probably allow myself a few more days of messing up before I get strict and keep to my 1530 cal limit.  I don't want to go crazy with this dieting thing - just keep a good balance between eating right and eating fun.

One thing I'm definitely grateful for is the fact that I'm becoming so much more aware of what I'm eating.  Who knew eggs had so much cholesterol?  Who knew it takes so long to walk off calories?  Now I do.  And I'm on my way to making some important-yet-subtle life changes in the area of eating.  :)

What about you guys - how do you keep your self-control when watching what you eat?

No comments: